Cold-Weather Vehicle Theft
It’s that time of year again…..Our hope is to keep the community informed and prevent the theft of motor vehicles during the winter months.
Vehicle theft is an ongoing concern within the city of Calgary. Each year, as the weather cools, the Calgary Police Service receives an increase in stolen vehicle thefts, targeting unlocked vehicles left running (warming up). With this in mind, please consider:
What can you do to prevent vehicle theft?
- Do not leave a vehicle running with the keys in the ignition for any length of time, even with the doors locked.
- Never hide a second key in or around the vehicle.
- Always close the windows, lock the doors and pocket the key.
- Park in well-lit and well-traveled areas.
- Take valuables with you or hide them out of sight.
- Use anti-theft measures such as a steering wheel lock, a vehicle immobilizer system or an alarm system.
- Consider installing a remote starter if you need to warm up your vehicle in the morning.
- Report suspicious activity. If you see suspicious people in or around motor vehicles, call 9-1-1.
Remember, a few minutes braving the cold with your vehicle can save you from a headache down the line.
If you have questions please do not hesitate to give me a call.
Cst. Matt Forest
Calgary Police Service
Community Resource Officer
District 6 Team 5
8325 Bonaventure Drive SE